Friday, August 12, 2011

Top Picks for Sci-Fi/Fantasy Books

So, NPR recently released this years top picks for Science Fiction and Fantasy novels.  And there are _many_ awesome and deserving choices.  In many cases, it may as well be a list of all my favorite books.  But one of my favorite entries is #82, The Eyre Affair, by Jasper Fforde.

Now, if you know me in real life, you are probably sick to death of hearing me talk about "the Thursday Next series", but if you haven't heard me tout it at every possible turn, you should take this entry as an encouragement to go and read it.  All of it.

NPR's blurb is a pretty good synopsis of the first book:

"In a world where you can actually get lost (literally) in literature, Thursday Next, a notorious Special Operative in literary detection, races against time to stop the world's Third Most Wanted criminal from kidnapping characters, including Jane Eyre, from works of literature, forcing her to dive into the pages of a novel to stop literary homicide, in a wildly imaginative, mesmerizing thriller."

The whole series is _fantastic_.  I have read it several times at this point, and also quite enjoy the off-shoot Nursery Crime series.  I will say that the first book is not as engaging as the rest.  It's good, I love it, but the second book is where it really gets into the meat of the world building.

So, if you're looking for something new to read, definitely consider this series.  It's smart, funny, complex, and my favorite series, so I want everyone else to like it, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment