Tuesday, September 13, 2011

"Yeah, well, history is gonna change."

Ever since sometime in the late 80s, I have been planning my 2015 Back to the Future party.  Well before I knew most of the people I know now, well before I was old enough to even appreciate all elements of the films, I was completely addicted.  To this day it remains one of my favorite fandoms and I'm sure will for my whole life.  The jailbird Joey cake, costumes from the different eras visited in the films...I always intended to have a smashing anniversary party in 2015.

And one thing that could only make that better is the power-lacing Nike sneakers from Back to the Future II.  And now I could have a pair of my own.  But I won't.  Not out of desire, mind you, but out of cost.  The shoes were made and are being sold to raise money for Parkinson's research.  And I can't really complain about such a wonderful cause.  It makes me so sad to see what Michael J. Fox has gone through; he was an idol of mine growing up.

And while I'd love to buy a pair of the awesomest shoes ever to exist with the added benefit of the money going to such a worthy cause, $4-6,000 is a little steep for me.  I was prepared for a few hundred (before I knew it was such limited quantity and being auctioned), but this is just too rich for me.  However, it's still amazing and I more than support anyone who does go for them.  They're available on eBay, 150 pairs on a 24-hour auction each day for 10 days (I believe there are four or five days left).

You can watch Michael J. Fox showing off the shoes on Letterman (originally aired the night before the first 150 pairs went up for auction):


The owner of Google is planning to match however much is made through this fundraiser up to $50 million.  Just one more reason to love Google and several more reasons to wish I was rich!

No comments:

Post a Comment