Friday, September 9, 2011

Lando, my hero.

I love Lando Calrissian.  I have always loved Lando Calrissian.

And I've gotten no support and only mocking when it comes to this love.  Of course I love Han (in fact, he ranks as my favorite character..._followed_ by Lando).  And does it suck that he betrayed Han?  Well, yes.  Sort of.  He did sort of save an entire planet in the process (or at least try; I'm not too clear on the outcome of their fleeing) and had his hands sort of tied.  It's not like he had another option that would have saved Han.  I highly doubt that this conversation was likely:

Vader: Hand the rebels over to me, and I'll spare your planet.

Lando: No...I don't think I will.  Sorry, mate.

Vader:  Oh.  Okay.  Well, I guess we'll just enslave your people and be on our way.  Say hi to Han for me.

Lando:  Will do;  peace brotha!

Un_likely_.

He would have simply not had Lando meet up with them at the Falcon and would have gone on the offensive slightly sooner.  In fact, I'm not entirely sure what the whole point of that charade was.  Did it accomplish anything?  I mean, Vader was never intending to actually make good on the deal. Really I think Vader was feeling a bit overshadowed by the Emperor and he just wanted to assert his dominance and play around with the lives and prosperity of a planet.

But I digress, yes, Lando "betrayed" Han, but out of necessity, not out of desire.  We have this trope where it is completely unacceptable to do anything that can be construed as betrayal, regardless of the circumstances, and you never get forgiven.  Well, I think Lando's position is a perfect case for why people should grow the fuck up and take a look at everything going on and everything that comes after.

And finally, someone agrees with me.  (via Dorkly)

Despite leading a successful attack on a Death Star and being an instrumental part of the Rebellion’s victory over the Empire, Lando is arguably the least popular main character because he “betrayed” Han Solo. And that’s bullshit. Lando had no choice but to hand Solo over to Vader. As the leader of Cloud City, he had a responsibility to protect his cloud people (killer band name). If Lando resisted, Vader would have taken the city by force and caught up with Luke and the others regardless. Luke later turns himself in after all.

Lando’s smarts allowed for the quiet escape of the Falcon and the evacuation of Cloud City; a superior alternative to a head-on fight with the Empire. Whereas Han and Chewie would prefer charging at Darth Vader with their blasters out, Lando would prefer everyone not dying. He’s Han Solo for the thinking man and smooth as hell. “You truly belong here with us among the clouds.” Are you kidding me? The man probably shits silk.
I rest my case.

2 comments:

  1. And I've gotten no support and only mocking when it comes to this love.

    Hey, hey; who gave you the Lando action figures on your bookshelf?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did, but _mockingly_. Just because you indulge me and your mocking comes from love, doesn't make it not mocking. ;)

    But your support is noted. I should have said no support from anyone besides my wonderful, loving, sarcastic husband. <3

    ReplyDelete