Friday, July 2, 2010

Maine Trip Volume 06

So, I just got back from our second trip on the lake, this time kayaking.
I
Michael and I got a tandem kayak and Genevieve got a single again. We had _lots_ of fun, but it was actually much harder to steer and maneuver than the canoe. It seemed pretty clear after a while that kayaks really aren't made for two people, even the ones made for two people. We spent the first two hours getting almost to the other side of the lake and back, and by then, our arms were exhausted. So we pulled up to the dock, Michael got out first, and then I attempted to get out and instead decided to test the life jackets. They work. I cut up my arm and fingers a little bit but otherwise really just got wet and a little anxious.

Genevieve swam for a bit while Michael tried out the single kayak. I took off my shorts (I was wearing just them and my bathing suit) and tried to dry off a bit while I watched them. By the time Michael got back, they were both trying to convince me to give the single kayak a try. So, I very anxiously got in and rode around a bit. I can completely see how the single kayak is _much_ easier than the tandem kayak _or_ canoe. By then my arms were pretty tired so I only spent about ten minutes out myself before very slowly making my way out of the kayak with both Genevieve's _and_ Michael's help pretty much on the ground.

Still, even with my unexpected dip and achy arms, I had a blast. We already want to get three single kayaks and a canoe. Also a sailboat (with a motor, just in case - I will not be pleased stuck out on a lack or at sea with no wind to carry us back!). I really hope we can find somewhere to do this over the summer.

And with that, Michael's mom should be home soon with some Chinese food and we can toast our last night in Maine.

No comments:

Post a Comment